Protecting Your Rights and Those of Your Children
In Maryland, the family court considers several factors in deciding child custody matters. The court seeks to determine what is best for the child or children involved, and considers issues such as:
- History of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse of a child by a parent
- A parent’s mental health
- History of drug abuse by a parent in the past
- A parent’s current relationship with the child or children, including whether they have meaningful and/or frequent contact
- The wishes of the child, if he or she is mature enough to make a sound decision
- Expert testimony about what is best for the child’s physical, mental, moral, or spiritual well-being
- Any history of domestic violence
The Tyra Law Firm, has years of experience helping parents address issues such as these, and win custody of their children. We also help parents seek joint custody of their children. This allows both parents to share responsibility and approve all major decisions regarding their children.
Many parents believe that once custody has been determined by the Court, the decision is permanent. This is not the case. Family dynamics change, people change, and the needs of the child change over time. It is possible to have a Court’s decision about custody modified or even overturned.
If you are facing a custody battle, we are here to protect your interests and those of your child. We will guide you through this difficult process compassionately and, if necessary, fight aggressively on your behalf. Contact Rockville child custody lawyer Neil Tyra today for a consultation.